Tuesday, October 1, 2019

DISPATCH: Decades Apart, Miles Together


Palm Springs

Lured by the universe, I cross a bridge over untroubled water to receive my gift. I find a perch, Kokopelli in disguise, mellow in martini, Miles Davis and dim sum. 

Daily meditations on lyrical lore and joyful noise deliver this night for all that jazz — and then some.

An ennobled trio flocks to my small landing, as the surrounding sea teems and swells toward the light. Free from his Beatle’s nest, one considers while two Gand-er at the familiar glow ahead. Onstage, The New Nine trumpets a return to 1957 and “Birth of the Cool.”

Decades between us will not prevent me from unwrapping this custom-made collaboration: the fated appearance of a buoyant last ticket to bear witness, a seminal album performed live by generations of giddy musicians, fellowship over food and drink with three well-versed in universal language.

Neither starry eyes nor a misplaced pillar will obscure my view of this wondrous experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment